I have read that the third and final supermoon of 2019 is happening on Thursday 21st March.
A supermoon occurs when a full moon coincides with the moon’s perigee. Otherwise known as the point where its elliptical orbit is closest to the Earth. The Moon appears larger and brighter than usual when this happens.
To see the moon at its brightest in the UK I need to awake when it is closest to the earth. This will occur at 1.43am on 21st March. Weather permitting I will also see the moon between when it rises at 5.30pm on Wednesday 20th March and when it sets at 6.30am on the 21st.
I will take this opportunity to put my crystals and divining necklace outside to re-energise them under the full moon.
Name of the March Full Moon
The supermoon appearing in March is called the Full Worm Moon. Native Americans called it the Worm Moon because March was the month when the ground would thaw and warm. As a result earthworms would start to appear.
Other names for the Full Worm Moon
- Chaste moon because it signals the purity of the spring season.
- Crow Moon because cawing crows were said to herald the start of spring and the end of winter.
- Crust Moon because of snow cover at this time of year when it froze at night.
- Death Moon because it is the last full moon of winter.
- Lenten Moon because the moon appears during lent which starts on the 6th March and ends on 18th April.
- Sap Moon or Sugar Moon because maple trees were tapped at this time.
- Storm Moon because March is said to come in like a lion and go out like a lamb.
The appearance of the third supermoon coincides with Spring Equinox on March 20th. This is the point when the sun passes directly over the equator.
This is the first time that a full moon and Spring (Vernal) Equinox will coincide within 4 hours of each other in 19 years. The next time that this will occur less that a day apart isn’t until March 2030!
Spring Equinox will take place in the UK at 9.58pm, just four hours before Thursday’s “Worm Moon” supermoon.
I’m looking forward to the spring equinox because it represents a time of rebirth and renewal.
I particularly like the idea that it brings energy for new beginnings and changing paths. We tried to move last year but came across many obstacles which stopped us. Fingers crossed that the Spring Equinox can help us move at long last.
In the Northern Hemisphere the Spring Equinox heralds the beginning of spring but in the Southern Hemisphere it heralds the beginning of autumn.
With spring being the best time to cleanse and clean I will be coinciding my next saging with this time too.
For the third and final supermoon of 2019 I have chosen to drink my third favourite herbal tea. I will be drinking peppermint tea while taking in the beauty of the moon.
I brew my tea by using peppermint teabags bought from the supermarket. However when it gets a little warmer I will go foraging for the real thing.
Placing my tea bag in a mug of boiling water I cover my mug with a small plate while it infuses. I leave mine for about 5 minutes but it can be left for up to 10 minutes for a stronger taste.
I love this tea because it always helps to ease any stomach pains and bloating that I have.
Some of the ways that peppermint tea may support the body are with regards to;
- supporting digestion
- helping to relieve wind
- relieve involuntary muscle spasms
- induce sweating
- ease nausea and motion sickness
- mildly sedating
- lowering blood pressure
- alleviating problems of the gut
- Never place the essential oil undiluted onto the skin.
- Never ingest the essential oil.
Take a look at my previous posts regarding the first two supermoons of 2019;
Insect Bites and Peppermint Essential Oil
I can tell that spring is coming because my feet and ankles are getting bit to pieces by insects.
While looking for herbal help with regards to these blood suckers I came across peppermint.
Externally peppermint can be used as an insect repellent. I have read that after making a cup of tea leaving the tea bag to the side helps to repel insects from this area.
As soon as I realised that peppermint repels them I put a couple of drops of peppermint oil into my diffuser to keep the biting pests away. I have found very reasonably priced pure peppermint essential oil from Fresh Skin and I use their products regularly;
Peppermint essential oil can be stimulating and clear the head but cannot be used neat on the skin.
I have read that mint is spiritually protective and cleansing. Spiritual suggested uses are;
- Place in a diffuser in your meditation area to remove negative vibrations.
- Put mint leaves under your pillow to attract prophetic dreams. (I will certainly try this one when I get hold of some fresh mint).
- Carry leaves in your purse to attract prosperity.
Enjoy the beauty and power of the Worm Full Moon and please comment on any experiences that you would like to share.
Its nearly here!
This post contains affiliate links